Wednesday, April 16, 2008

We're Debt Free!

Today, Wednesday April 16, 2008, the Amish Swinneys are
DEBT FREE.

It took us approximately 23 months to complete Steps 1 & 2 of the Dave Ramsey plan.

It took us a while to gather up the starter emergency fund of $1,000.

After that we paid off a total of $30,000 in 20 months. This included our car, all of our student loans, and our credit cards.

Do we make loads of money? No. Levi worked LOADS of overtime, we went by a strict budget and plan which was the "envelope system", God played an important role in providing, and we tithed the whole way through.

Satan was after us from the beginning. The very month we began the Dave Classes we BOTH got speeding tickets. I had never gotten one before in my entire life so that was quite discouraging considering the total damage for both tickets was about $350.00.

But still, we continued on.

We have not used our credit cards in 23 months.

In fact, we cut them up and don't have any.

I know this is scary to think about for some of you but after the struggle we've had for our entire 7 years of marriage to pay them off, well, we are DONE with credit cards.

But what if an emergency comes?

We are starting on step 3 of the Dave plan which is to save 3-6 months of expenses. So, yes, our journey is far from over but we feel confident that the full emergency fund will cover most of our emergencies. If there is an emergency that goes beyond what we end up saving then we are either terminally ill, or one of us is in jail. As far as the jail is concerned the offending spouse will just have to sit it out.

I have a lot to say about our journey but I don't want to distract from this day. Satan tried VERY hard to steal our joy yesterday and it almost worked but I recognized it, rebuked it, and immediately a wave of relief came over us.

What next? Well, cable and a DVR that's what! Levi is about to call this morning to set up an appointment for them to come. We aren't avid T.V watchers but our reception is terrible so the girls will be so confused when they can actually SEE Elmo without white snow all over him.

Actually, Levi and I sat down 3 days ago and have already devised a detailed plan for how we spend our money now. If we hadn't done that then we would have been tempted to go buck-nutty and have a wild spending spree.

This plan includes a car payment with NO car. Yes, we are actually putting back an entire car payment so we can pay for our next car in cash OR Levi will spend it to fix up his beloved rust-tang. That is very exciting to me. We may have to buy another $800 beater if the Buick conks out on us but that's o.k....we ain't shamed (unless it's me...I may suddenly become Hindu and wear a wrappy thingy on my head if I have to drive it).

Are we rolling in cash? Nope. If I were then I'd be in Rio right now. Which leads me to our awesome debt-free vacation we are going to take soon...SO excited. Dave really didn't prevent us from vacationing b/c we had only taken one (to San Antonio for a weekend) before we started Dave and we've been married for almost 7 years, so I can't really blame him, we are just boring.

Our only reason for telling people about what we've done is to inspire and encourage you to do the same. Are we money experts...no way. We, in no way, want to come off as bragging or judgmental to those of you who are doing something different or who are up to your eyeballs in debt...we've been there and we know what a pit of quick-sand that feels like and we are telling you today that you can get out of it.

This road (as you've read below) has been not just rocky...mountainous. I've cried, I've been mad, I've been so discouraged, I've gone on spending spree's to Wal-Mart when I shouldn't have. But like I said in the earlier posts....we kept going despite what we were "feeling".

Levi never cried nor did he get mad and really didn't even get discouraged. He has been the emotional rock through this that we needed. I am a girl, what can I say? I can go from happy, to sad, to angry, back to happy just by watching one commercial.

God lead me to Dave Ramsey and I am SO fortunate to have a husband who listened to me and jumped on bored with no questions whatsoever. He is now a Dave junkie and I've created a monster. But if I've gotta be married to a monster then that's the way to go!

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

Phillipians 4:12-13

9 comments:

Anjolee said...

Hooray!

Congratulations!

You two are certainly an inspiration. I am getting a little teary-eyed for you right now. I am so happy for you and this day. Enjoy your DVR!

Evie Evie Amber said...

Wow. BIG W BIG O BIG W SOME MORE

I would bow down in reveremce but the good Lord might strike me with lightening :)

You guys are a-freaking-mazing! I am so proud of you! I hope you wet your pants in celebration today! This is an amazing feat, quite contrary to the way the world tells us to live.

You are, whether you like it or not, officialy financial role models and have done something so amazing and so life changing for your family, your marriage and your children! I think God is participating in the pee your pants dance as well!

I want to share in your joy! Though ours is much smaller :)Today's paycheck will end a four year $10,000 battle with dental debt. When we look at your accomplishemt in awe we are encouraged and will no longer be daunted by what's left for us to tackle.

Thank you for being an example of Christ-like living, for blogging about your goals and for supporting Dave Ramsey. LOVE THE DAVE!

Way to go Amish Swinneys! Today is a day to celebrate!!!!!!

Steph said...

woohoo! imagine me doin' the "Carlton" doin' the "Carlton" (fresh prince of bel-air:))

go on wit yo bad self.

love you! and proud of you and Levi!

DesignKat said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I have tears in my eyes as I read this. You ARE an inspiration to us all. I am so glad you pushed forward when it seemed like you would never reach the finish line. How sweet does the air smell now? Isn't it great?! You and the Swanigans inspired me to follow in your footsteps (I started that journey a few months ago). I will be debt free in August 2009! We can all do the happy dance! My heart is filled with joy for you all...good job guys!

Lexi said...

SO excited! Congrats!

Catherine said...

Yea! Yea! Yea! I'm so proud of ya'll. That's so exciting! DVR will change your life. I'm not kidding. I know you will enjoy it even more because you worked so hard for it.
Congrats!!!

Atlee's Mom said...

SO SO PROUD OF YOU GUYS!!! I should be dept free by April 09!

Magic Brush said...

I talked to Dave Ramsey on his show over the Christmas holiday. What an awesome guy!!!! I told him I wanted to invite him over for dinner!!!!!

Congratulations to you! We were debt free for 3 years, then the downturn in the economy and my husband loosing his job hurt us. So... here we go again!!!!!

hello jamie: said...

so far I have done 12K in 12 months. I am less than 4 months from being done and I'm SO ready. sometimes I come back and read this to bolster my confidence.

I did a freelance job last month and made $2060, and turned around and sent $2000 away. It was sad and happy at the same time.

Thanks for being an inspiration.